Poet Jennifer Saunders has introduced me to January Gill O’Neils Poetry Action Plan where you really ask yourself what’s important to you as a writer and then set realistic goals you’ll track throughout the year. Today, I implement the following goals for 2013:
1. I know I posted this in my last blog post, but I have to post it again. I’m starting a new notebook where I’ll write three lines per day. Thank you, Naomi.
2. Write a poem a week. Yep, I should have 52 poems at the end of this year.
3. Read 2 poetry collections and one fiction/nonfiction book per month. Subscribe to a new literary magazine. I’m already subscribed to Poetry, Rattle, Weave, Ploughshares, and The Southwest Review.
4. Volunteer at the library or a local organization that supports literacy in my community.
5. Brush up on my Spanish. Rosetta Stone isn’t going to feel lonely anymore. I need to read more translations and want to be able to read them in both of my languages.
6. Begin a low-residency MFA program. The applications are in, and I pray that I’m chosen to attend and begin a program this summer.
What are your goals for the coming year? What are you looking forward to?
Wishing you a happy and positive 2013, Andrea